Saturday, February 12, 2005

Holly's Blessings sent to the Wind

Last year at Christmas I had the honor of meeting my step-daughters fiance', Tony. He was a really great guy and I was genuinely excited for Holly. Such a sweet girl who had been through so much with her folks - and since I was at the time married to her dad, I could imagine with clarity what kind of a father he had been. But Holly had risen aboove all of that, had a good job, nice apartment and most of all the sense to choose a wonderful man to marry.

I write this because my relationships with Holly and Scotty were severed unceremoniously when the Ogre filed for divorce. I was not allowed to go to her wedding - and that crushed me. I really had grown to love those kids like they were my own - no surprise there - and I am sad at times that there isn't a way to salvage that relationship when a marriage ends for the better.

My thoughts are on Holly because I got another e-mail from the Ogre - Holly and Tony became parents last Wednesday, to a beautiful baby girl - and I picture in my mind a baby with the same chock of red hair that she has. I wish that I could call, or send a gift, or tell her that I think she is going to be a really great mother, but I cannot. Too many lies have been told, and she believed her father, so that is out of the question.

So I send my blessings to the wind in the hope that maybe one morning she will feel the sun on her shoulders when she is worn out from mothering, and that will be my blessing lighting upon her. Congratulations, Holly, and welcome to the hardest job you will ever love.

No comments: