Friday, January 28, 2005

Shelter in the Storm

I lived in Indiana for most of my life, and beautiful Midwestern storms are a common part of that - Big thunderhead clouds, pouring rain, tornados, lightening and ice storms, and blizzards that could shut down a city for days. Perhaps it is that which caused me to fall in love with the new basement. It has a gas fireplace, but more importantly, it is perfect for tornado weather - low enough in the ground to offer protection, but with an access door outside so we won't get trapped. And it is perfect for ice storms which knock out powerlines - the gas fireplace will allow us to cook and have heat even when the power is off. The cinderblock construction, though not exceptionally warm, offers good protection and a solid space. The telephone poles used as supports can help section off a space to keep us all snug and warm. Now all it needs is a bathroom and it will be perfect!

As I walked around during the home inspection I found hardwood floors begging for polishing and walls in need of painting. Lots of little things were left - a canopy bed, a Calvin Klein shelf that came from a department store, some cookbooks, a Civil War picture book that Justin really would love to keep and a fridge full of goodies like wine and a Mrs Smith's pie. Funny the things we choose to leave behind. Having just done this myself, I was especially intrigued by the items. Many were the same things I left - things I liked but could live without. It will be interesting to see how much is left when we take possession of the house.

It is only two acres - I could handle a hundred, but that is not my destiny it seems - and the pecan tree holds promise, the beehive is waiting in anticipation and the little shed ( which bears the signs of being a hiding place for a still) awaits a time of usefulness again. It is a place of hope for a new beginning, for happily ever efter, for roots that will finally allow us to hang up the gypsy cloak and have a home.

No comments: