Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Its beginning to feel like Christmas

Friday night one of the girls I work with invited the group over for a Christmas party. It is no secret that I missed the Martha Stewart Gene - but my friend, she has it in spades. The appetizers were beautiful - and included marinated cold shrimp with thyme and bell peppers. We had apple martinis - with a little marachino cherry at the bottom so that it looked like a Christmas tree. Finally, after that, I was starting to feel the Christmas spirit.

Don't get me wrong, my presents are purchased and the lights are up - I just wasn't feeling it yet.

Saturday, I taught class during the day and then we went to my friend Mary's house. They have a dinner club at our church where couples get together and trade who cooks for dinner. Since it was the Christmas party - there were about 20 couples and the place was packed. As usual, we were the first ones there and nearly the last to leave. Nothing better than finally getting to know some of the folks in your church - especially after a few cocktails and without kids. It was a blast. One of the ladies there invited me to the ladies version of the Knights of Columbus - she is having the next meeting at her house and I am going to meet even more folks in January. I have a picture of Mary's Christmas tree - it is a fake one now, because the real ones were so tall that they kept falling down. This thing is easily 10 feet tall.

Sunday was spent finishing up all the things I didn't do on Saturday - like cleaning the toilets and trying to get the house picked up. I made some progress - but by midday - I was pooped, so some things didn't get done.

Monday the construction guys were supposed to get started on our deck - no guys, no lumber, it didn't look good. But they say they can build a deck whether we are home or not - so if I can't be home, then I just can't be.

I decided to work on the fence during the remaining daylight hours - and we moved a big section. The neighbor kids came over and helped unfasten the old fence posts - Justin had put in posts along the top perimeter of what will be the yard - so we put the fence up the ridge and tied it off. I am so anxious for our critters to have the remaining acreage to graze on - and I am hopeful that we can have the porch built and the fence up by teh end of January. It'll be great to be able to walk through our woods and go somewhere quiet. Even better will be the advantage of the goats getting better nutrition from browsing the woods, as opposed to just getting feed each morning.

No comments: