Monday, September 25, 2006

Never a dull moment



Baby Mocha came to live at the Ridge last night. She was dropped off after her stint at the county fair petting zoo. Though, I don't have a good picture of her yet - this is a pretty good likeness of how she looks in my mind. It was raining last night, so her wool was all a mass of tiny ringlets as she happily walked about exploring her new home. What a beauty she is. She stayed with us on her first night ever - two months ago - slept wrapped up in my bed - promptly peed on me in the morning - and I have been looking forward to having her back ever since. She greeted me this morning as I came out to check on her - a bit taller, but still the same sweet face.

Birdie has been in the house all weekend - especially since the weather couldn't decide to be summer or fall. Since she was a preemie - she is disposed to pneumonia - but 5 days of Navajo Tea and Raw honey - some peppermint, some garlic and a shot of antibiotics later, she looks much better. Oh yea, and she is eating like a hog!

Speaking of hogs - Yoshi, the pot-bellied pig, got out of her pen about a week and a half ago. She was in heat and decided she didn't want to be alone. So we put her in with the goats. She is pretty happy about that - but her new favorite pastime is knocking over the 5 gallon waterers in the pens to make a mud bath. The ground is nice and muddy - but she isn't my favorite girl at the moment and the chickens think she's a pest.

We had a nice bonfire yesterday, right before the rain hit - and burned lots of branches which had fallen over the last several months. About an hour later, a new branch crashed through the spotlight I put up in August - sending dogs flying and glass shards everywhere. Ever try to use a broom and dustpan surrounded by herding dogs? Yep, it was a real photo opportunity missed.

In other news, two of our border collie boys got the snip over the weekend, and I listed them in the want ads to try to find them a home without chickens. Our girl Betty also got the snip, and oddly enough, a real sense of calm has come over her. I am hoping that she will put on a little weight now. She is still a bit food aggressive, since the people who had her didn't feed her every day, but she is getting better. It amazes me how nutrition plays such a big role - the boys came to us with demodectic mange, fleas, worms, and a really dull coat. Now they look shiny, if not fat, and all the skin has healed. The fleas are less - and the worms are gone. I joke with my friend who raises goats - that I seem to be developing a reputation - take that skinny animal to the chubby lady - she'll fatten them up!

2 comments:

SJ said...

A moments silence for those who got the snip...


:(



...thank you

J said...

For a hot minute, I thought you were talking about me, when referring to Betty.

Whew. I'm glad I don't have to put on any weight now!