Friday, September 08, 2006

The cycle of death and life and death and life again

No secret that I am a fan of the Women Who Run with the Wolves- it was the first time I realized that not all women were the perfect vision of class and grace that I had seen at high school - and those sorority girls I knew in college. It was the dawning of the knowledge that there was another way to be and that it was okay. Sorry - I'm rambling but if you are a woman who doesn't know why she doesn't fit - this book can be a real relief and teach you how to feed that wildness without becoming Janice Joplin.

There is a section that talks about life as a series of little deaths and new life. Over the last weeks, we have had several deaths - but also the surprise of a new baby duck. We lost beloved goats, but also saved the lives of four dogs and two kittens who would have otherwise been put down at the pound. The seeds I planted in my garden as a whim, have all come up and there are baby zucchini plants baby purple carrots, baby green beans and cayenne peppers and even some green chiles. All three kids like their new schools - quite the blessing when you think about the odds of that. Death may have started off this month, but it seems that the Life cycle has taken over.

Justin's house, though it has been on the market since February - and without occupant for well over 16 months - has not sold. We had one friend list it - with no result for three months. Then another friend listed it and another three months have passed, and this morning, Justin got an offer - and he grabbed it. It will not make us millionares - but it will be enough profit to build a deck off our bedroom and install that hot tub that dreams are made of. (okay, it will also increase the value of our house, but no one is complaining about the benefits of a hot tub after you have been carrying 50 pound bags of feed!)

A good friend offered her support and reminded us that God won't bring you to it unless He intends to bring you through it. We have been tired - tired of worrying about selling the house, about finances, about job hunting, about Bear at college. And there is a warm breee of reliefe as things seem to be easing up - a sudden awareness that there is no way a person can bear these burdens alone. God has moved us, taught us once again and just like any parent, teaching their children to walk to narrow path... we are nudged back in line, we are tested, pushed, prodded and finally following the path gets easier.

2 comments:

SJ said...

Excellent news Stace. It's about time as well!

Mahala said...

A little over ten years ago, I was working two jobs, one at a BP station here in the county. It was owned by a middle aged couple, the wife and I used to spend alot of time talking. She brought me the book "Women who run with the wolves," telling me that she just felt compelled to pass it on to me. Thank you for reminding me of it. I think I'll have to go find another copy and read it again :)