Thursday, September 07, 2006

Calling Dr. Atkins...


I was reading my friend, AC yesterday. Seems we have been on the same downward spiral - letting a little bit of excess sneak into our diets. Well, for me, this has meant a hefty weight gain over the past six months, and I'm not a bitty girl to begin with. Part of it is trying to feed the bottomless pit of teenaged boys on a budget - but mostly, it was just laziness. It is so easy to finish a meal by putting in a big loaf or bread and some potatoes - viola! add meat and you have a meal.

Complicating things is the fact that I teach diabetes management -and prevention, much of which involves choosing healthier foods. And I have been preaching one thing and doing another. I firmly believe that if you could hunt it down, pick it in the forest or grow it in your garden, it is good for you - that food should look similar to how it looks growing outside to be good for you. So since macaroni and cheese doesn't grow in the garden, it should be consumed sparingly. I also know that there are nutrients and antioxidants that we don't even have names for yet and that those nutrients come out of the produce section. Traditional wisdom which encourages us to eat from the bounty of the land, is right.

So, starting today, I'm back to following my own gospel - cutting processed foods, cutting my carbs back, increasing my greens and healthy protiens. I bought fish and chicken, cheese, yogurt, and about twelve bags of frozen veggies - including asparagus. There is a big roast in the crock pot - just a little sea salt and pepper for seasoning - and it will probably be paired with some mixed vegetables and a big salad for dinner. ( I believe in frozen because it's fast!!!)

Funny, how easy it is to stop taking care of yourself when you are busy trying to take care of others. I tell moms this all the time - that we do a great job of mothering others, but we aren't too snazzy at caring for ourselves. So I will spare you before and after pictures, but I may post some recipes!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I will join you on this quest, so good recipes will be greatly appreciated.

SJ said...

I'd be happy for one that didn't almost kill me as I cooked..

Anvilcloud said...

My problem is that I like all of the wrong things: savoury, salty, sugary, greasy. And I don't love fruits and veggies. How pathetic am I.