Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Meet the Parents

Went to lunch today with the man who is all things male (how was that honey??)'s mother and sister. I espected that since we have casually had conversation, there would be the obligatory round of questions that I would ask if aforementioned man was one of my sons. Luckily, I have been practicing the punchline: I know that things have not worked out for me in the past - or for him. As a single mother I don't have the luxury of living with someone, so I ended up married, early in a relationship, for the wrong reasons. More importantly, I settled. I will not do that again, ever. Neither will he.

It was a great lunch because we talked about my favorite topic - the man who is all things male. They were incredibly gracious - and I chose, as usual to be as straightforward as I could. Tough to explain away three marriages and three kids. Any mother would feel concerned. And yet, they were both kind and I think they could see how very much I love this man. We both have our own demons and we have some scars from years of trying to figure out which way was up! He has been good to us - beyond what I could have ever hoped for - and I told his mother that - actually I had one of those surreal moments where I was so busy basking in the thought of him that I forgot I was talking to his family. I also had a chance to relay that he has been honest with me about several parts of his life that weren't pretty - me too, and that we didn't really intend on dating - we just started talking on the phone and it progressed into this bonfire. Though I think I withheld the bonfire description. Gave me a minute to think - did I need some time alone - well, actually, I don't need to have a man in my life, I have proven that time and time again - but do I envision a life without him - absolutely not. It is such a lovely feeling to tell someone else about the blessings that have been bestowed on me and my family - wonderful to concentrate on what is going well and how safe I feel here.

So the first girl's lunch is out of the way - and now we can get on to the fun girl stuff.

No comments: