Friday, November 12, 2004

I did what I did

Performed by U2 and B.B. King

I was a sailor, I was lost at sea
I was under the waves
Before love rescued me
I was a fighter, I could turn on a thread
Now I stand accused of the things I've said

Love comes to town I'm gonna jump that train
When love comes to town I'm gonna catch that flame
Maybe I was wrong to ever let you down
But I did what I did before love came to town


Heard this song on the radio today and coupled with a disturbing scene from Clerks I was thinking that there are a lot of things I would have passed on had I known there was a real person who would make my life this great. All I can do is let it go. I wonder how things might have been different, then realize that had there been a different path, I might not have ended up here. And here is starting to really feel like home.

I have told the kids over and over to be careful with the object of their affection because even if the girl or boy in question doesn't end up married them, the person very well may be someone's spouse. There are a lot of things that boyfriends/girlfriends say to one another before we know enough to be careful with teh fragile ego of another person. Causing as little mental trauma as possible is important - and I feel at times like I am living proof, struggling at nearly forty with ghosts of things that were said and expectations placed nearly 20 years ago. I look at my son who is 13 - the same age I was when I started dating - and I think "HOLY CRAP" I kad no business leaving the house - let alone dating!!!
I have been blessed with a patient man who has a big heart. What more could a woman want?

No comments: