Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Redeeming the Flesh

For most of my life my body has been the bad guy. It had craved Taco Bell and candy bars, it has craved male company, it has fallen short in both shape and athleticism. It bears teh outward scars of a life lived the hard way - definitely the bad guy.

My brain knew - even back in June that Justin is someone special. I didn't know that first night - though I understood this was different from anything I had ever experienced before. Something inexplicable made me want to stand close to him, to be able to smell the scent of soap and salt from the heat. I had withdrawl when I drove home and couldn't think of anything else but the twinkle in his eyes as he talked about nothing in particular.

There was that evening by the waterfall in the pool when I told him I knew what "this" was, as though I had some crystal ball which could fortell the importance of our meeting. But my body knew.

Nestled in the crook of his shoulder, I can breathe. No matter what the day is like, I can breathe there, I am safe there.

I hold him, putting my head on his shoulder and at once I am transported from the cares of the day and I feel like I can handle anything - that there are two of us.

Feeling the heat in his hands as the hold mine to warm me up reminds me that not only am I a mother, chaufer, nurse, housekeeper and cook - I am also a woman who loves a man who loves her back. Think of the miracle in that. Someone who loves you back.

My body understands that - recognizes that, and knows that he is the one. I believe that is why the touch of his hands or his kiss on my forehead centers me - brings me back to peace and reminds me of what is truly important.

The mind can play tricks, but the body has a recongnition that is keyed into the very cells and though my mind may have doubts, my body does not. So I live to drift off to dream in your arms....

1 comment:

Lora said...

Girl, that's just how I felt when I first met David and it's only better now. I hope and pray that Justin is "the one"!

Love ya, Lora