Thursday, October 07, 2010

A leak by any other name...

I have a slow leak in my back tire which has necessitated twice a week trips to the air pump at the gas station.

Now this is not ground breaking news- but I will say that you can nurse a tire for a LONG time until you actually have to replace it. Good to know.

While we were at QT the other night there was a dad with his daughter and her new bike filling up the tires.

Jake and I decided to go in - as we always do- for a drink.

Now for those of you who do not have a QT, let me say that it is a beautiful array of drinks: frozen coffee, four varieties of regular coffee, milkshakes, slushes, smoothies, fountain drinks- and my favorite: fresh brewed iced tea. Best sweet tea I have ever had - and I will gladly give my last dollar for a refill on a 90 degree day. To be honest, I split it, half sweet and half unsweetened because I am still a transplant and I full sweet tea is a little sweeter than I can handle. The place is always clean - bathrooms, parking lot, floors - just a refreshing change from normal gas stations. I put nearly 4,000 miles a MONTH on my car, so I spend a lot of time at gas stations- and finding one that is clean is a big deal.
Anyway, Jake and I get our drinks and we come back out to find that the dad is still filling up the tires. Seriously?

He fills, then checks, then fills some more, then checks, then fills, and POP!!! He pops the tire.
Everyone watching feels deflated- as does the tire obviously. It was so very sad.....all I could do was say I was so sorry.

So moral to the story- a little less gas may be better than too much gas.

2 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Poor guy. I'm chuckling, but poor guy anyway.

Loner said...

I had the same reaction- I felt really bad for him- but I giggled just the same. Poor guy.