Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Peace and Eggs

My friend Stephanie is here. We have been buddies for over 10 years now: bonding in Arizona on the Navajo reservation, then seeing each other for Thanksgivings, meeting Justin at her wedding and then several trips back and forth to my house and to hers in Albuquerque. Honestly, I want to retire either in New Mexico or back in Indy so that I will live by either Steph or Lora as an old lady. Gotta be where your best buddies are! Her visit couldn't have come at a better time for me. Nothing like an old friend to challenge you and help you peel back the layers to the bare truth.

And so it was that last night driving back from WalMart with groceries in the back seat she landed the question: How do you like your eggs?

In the movie the Runaway Bride, Julia Roberts is confronted by the question of how she really likes her eggs - because in all of her relationships she conforms who she is to the man in question and has her eggs however he has his eggs. Abject adoration of the man in question leads him to think he loves her as the perfect match whether she is or not. Her fascade prevents him from seeing who she really is- and prevents love from really entering her life. The scene unfolds with her discovering what she really wants and become the conossieur rather than settling on things she just isn't into- sorry for the chick movie reference, but I am, after all, still a girl.

I like them fried in butter and olive oil with fresh ground pepper with bacon on the side.
Or in an omlet with just about anything but salsa - just for the record.

Justin came over for the cookout last night and we were able to talk about what I needed to know. It is like walking on thin ice when you try to re-establish a friendship after a marriage has gone awry - especially with some of our extenuating circumstances- so we were both a little cautious about opening up. Once the first truth was spoken, it was followed by another and another. I heard what I needed to hear - and a couple things I didn't want to hear - but needed to. When they say the truth will set you free, they aren't kidding. Knowing what his thoughts were gave me the information I needed to decide where to start working. Once the problem is identified and named, we can fix it. The weight is off my heart and we have established the working parameter for being friends again.

So FINALLY we are seizure free, eHarmony free, unemployment free - and at peace. Thank you God!