Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Night Owls



I won't swear that this is what woke me up at 2 this morning - and kept me up until about 4 - but I have the strong suspicion that no cat in their right mind would venture into woods guarded by a dozen dogs, and we haven't seen a raccoon or possum since the construction annihilated the 17 acres of woods behind our house. The noise was something between a peep - like the baby chickens make - and a screech - like something in pain. It sounded very similar, though, to the sound the baby finches make - annoying and urgent.

For much of the night, the ducks were uneasy, like something was wrong - but we couldn't find any problems even after a couple of trips out to the pen. Then about two, there was a noise that came from a stand of pine trees where we have seen the two barn owls roost in the past. I am hopeful that they will get their parenting rhythm under control, or I am going to be one sleep deprived girl until these guys learn to hunt for themselves.

No comments: