Friday, June 25, 2004

The Ogre

Stomping around your fort
Locking doors, booming threats
Holding onto my precious things
Trampling the gardens I worked
To provide food for your table
Your words cut me over and over
And I marvel that you cannot see
The blood pouring through my chest

Why do your rejoice in hurting me
Rubbing salt in open wounds
Why do you think that disposing
Of someone who only tried to love you
Should be a clean cut, quick disposal
Dumping her back where she was
And you no worse for wear.

And why do I try to make sense of
The insanity that pervades your life
Cannot wrap my mind around
What I have done wrong
What I have done to displease you
What I have done to deserve
Your disdain, your lies, your betrayal

And yet, today, a new day dawns
Another heart reaches out to me
His words are calming, like honey
Soothing balm to my troubles
Over and over again, his hands
Heal slowly and methodically
The wounds you have carved in me

And I realize that I will escape
In a freedom I had long forgotten
and my heart will heal
able to love again, only better
And my wounds will close
With scar tissue stronger than
The flesh that was there before

No comments: