Thursday, May 24, 2012

Nothing says America like shooting something inanimate

About 8 months ago I met this wonderful man who runs a guns store. His store and his house just exude masculinity with leather chairs, huge TVs and deer heads mounted on the wall.  I knew we'd be friends from the first time I talked to him on the phone - and we are.
At our first meeting, he asked about what I used to protect myself when I was going to a person's house.  I proceeded to give him a very stupid blank stare- I'm a nurse, I don't carry weapons for Pete's sake.  He was aghast and got up from the table to get a knife for me to carry.  I still have it in my van- but I just cannot see whipping that thing out like something out of West Side Story, but it is reassuring to have. So months went by and we had conversations about personal protection. Being a purveyor, he has some really cool stuff and the more comfortable I got with that equipment, the more I wanted one. And so it was that when my tax check came in I became a real American and exercised my Second Amendment rights and purchased a piece of Smith&Wesson's latest. I followed Mark's advice and bought what he suggested and have been very pleased. The truth is that guns scare me - I've seen what they can do to people in The ER and it isn't pretty. I took that baby to the range and ran through several hundred rounds until I could hold it without shaking. Then came the cost sale...and one of my friends got a shotgun for skeet shooting and home defense....I fell in love right then. I called my friend and told him I had the bug and he set me up with a beautiful Remington with a manageable weight- because, as he noted, I am still a girl even though I have muscular arms (thanks alot buddy). My favorite thing about this friend is his quick sense of humor- he is one of those guys whose one-liners have you in stitches begging for mercy and breath. He does his own radio commercials and the one for Memorial Day had the title in the tagline- priceless and funny. I've been blessed in a number of ways this year, but this friendship has been one of the best. He has shown me that I can love a man as my friend and be comfortable without being romantic. Proves that you just never know what will happen or who will come across your path. p

No comments: