Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Escapees of Tin Loong

I am in the North Georgia mountains today.  Such an eclectic mix of people- mountain foks who have lived here for generations, retirees from Atlanta with money, and old hippies - lots of old hippies.
I stopped at the local Chinese Buffet - if I am gonna get my vegetables and do something more about my waistline, I have to eat something other than fast food - and they have wonderful vegetables at this little buffet, so I nearly always eat there.

I was preoccupied, reading love notes, to be honest.  I am sure I had a silly grin on my face - love notes do that to a girl. 

A little white-haired lady came to my table with and asked to borrow a chair - I said sure and she immediately starts to move the chair while juggling her cane.
Holy cow - I get up to help her and find that she is moving the chair to the next table over.  She thanks me...then the little man with the walker thanks me and starts to sit at the chair adjacent to mine. I tell him, he must be having a pretty good day - having lunch out with a whole group of pretty women. His wife moves him to the other side of the table - he says" sorry, honey, my wife is insisting that I sit by her instead"

Ha!  Makes me giggle.

They thank me again for the chair ( which then gets me giggling because it isn't as though I built it for them or anything - I just moved it like a foot over)

Then the wives get up to get food from the buffet - leaving the two guys at the table.

Now I am back to reading my notes and there is a figure leaning over my table.  The other older gentleman leans over and asks if I am busy
I'm reading email, I tell him
Well...
he leans way over the table to whisper to me
"we escaped from the nursing home.  Don't listen to a thing we say, we don't get out much anymore"
The twinkle in his eye makes me wonder if this might just be true
And the giggles overtake me - those poor folks in the restaurant probably thought I was drunk.

There is nothing more charming than someone with a kind heart and an easy laugh - those cute little old men just made my day.
And wherever they are- I hope they enjoy their day of freedom!

No comments: