Thursday, March 15, 2007

Happy Birthday Early

My mothers birthday is on Saturday, Saint Patrick's Day.
All my life this day has held significance, rivaled only by Christmas. We have corned beef and cabbage, we drink irish Coffee and Green beer - we go listen to the bagpipers. Oh teh bagpipers. I don't know, since I am adopted, exactly where my family came from - but there must be some Celtic blood in there somewhere in my 5'10" frame because the sound of those bagpipes moves me to tears - and seems to evoke such a visceral response that can only be from some ancient knowing deep within my bones. They sound like home to me.
When the kids were little, I took Jerra to the parade in downtown Indianapolis - and as the family grew, the number of green bagels and bags of candy grew as well. We would stand awestruck while watching the Gordon Pipers - the same guys we'd watch later that night at Sullivans - and in May at the 500.
I have some great memories of St Pats - including the year that we took Jerra's very Italian looking father to the pub where he laughed and laughed at people's reaction when they told them he was a Kelly. We had a great time that night - back when everyone was young and healthy.
Last year, we decided to sneak attack and drive up to see my mom on St Pats. It took a lot of coordination to get everyone out of school and make the trip. I was talking to her on the cell as we pulled into Reihle Brothers - and she told me later that she kept looking at that girl and thinking she looked like me. It was a great surprise. This year, I went up to see my dad for his birthday instead - so I'll miss the Indiana version of Green beer.
Since it is just the two of them, my folks are going to a retreat for the weekend - something they need since dad's struggle with cancer doesn't seem to be letting up.
If you get a minute, and want to leave her a happy birthday note, here is my momma's blogger: http://www.thoughtsfromserenity.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

nora leona said...

I'll grab a green bagel at the parade tomorrow for you.

Ah, Reihle Brothers--we used to go there after our shift at Arni's was done...brown polyester uniforms and all.

magz said...

Hi Sis! Shure, and it's a foine thing yer doin.. feeling the call o sweet celtic whispers..

Me own sainted mum was a Quinn.

Her Irish was black as a theives hart y'now, n freckled as a sunsplashed slough. (I got exactly 1/2 of that; but feel the pull of the pipes meself I do)

Off topic and out of the venacular.. I just emailed an oddly named kilted cueball with pix of goats n other farmlife, proof I'm still around. Sorta.
Make him share, ok?
I LOVE yer header nowadays! And love you too Sis.
e anytime, I've nearly lost the bloghabit tho when I do, it's realer over ta http://magzrantz.blogspot.com

Love Bears All Things said...

I went over to say hello to your Mom.
We watched the St. Patty's Day parade in Chicago. Enjoy the pipers also. And reaing about Ireland.