Thursday, September 20, 2007

Hey Paul

So the last week or so I have been all about doing projects - trying to keep my hands busy so that my head and heart don't hurt. So last night, since there was no football practice, Jake and I took to the woods to clear out some of the damage from the fall storms.



One of these wind burst knocked a tree branch down and it shattered my windshield.

I wasn't in it - so perhaps my guardian angel has some help these days. True or not, it makes me feel better to think that my dad is watching out for us. Now if he could have gotten the windshield replaced for free - instead of couple of hundred dollars I had to spend to replace it - but that is another story.



Anyway - our house is bordered by about an acre and a half of old stand pine forest - which hasn't been cleaned out for years before we moved there. We have three major piles now of pine tree segments = you know 8 to 16 foot segments - piled up so that at some point we can make furniture - or a house - or a split rail fence - something other than mulch with all these trees. As I was walking around tossing more trees on the pile, I realized there were a lot of dead pine trees still standing. Roots no longer attached really - and in several spots, leaning against the tree next to them. Not a big deal unless you are talking about a 20-30 foot tree - and we are. Visions of kids running through the woods and being smushed by those trees as they tipped over at a most in opportune moment whirred through my head.



So I did what any Loner would do - I knocked them over. With my shoulders. Until my arms were scratched up and there were no dead pine trees standing.



I'm not sure if that makes me Paul bunyon.... or Babe the Blue Ox.

No comments: